ESTABLISHED IN 1993
TO RAISE STANDARDS
The British Horseracing Education & Standards Trust (BHEST) is a registered charity (No. 1040590) and company limited by guarantee.
We have three main responsibilities
We are the racing industry’s own bespoke Awarding Organisation offering a range of competency and knowledge based qualifications in the racing, thoroughbred breeding, wider equine and farriery industries
We distribute funding received from industry sources for training purposes which includes the training of stud and stable staff and jockeys
We deliver the Racing to School education programme at racecourses, trainers’ yards and studs across the UK, supporting children’s studies of school subjects and introducing them to horseracing as a future leisure activity or career.
‘To raise standards in the racing and thoroughbred breeding industries through training, education and qualifications’.
To help BHEST achieve its mission, the following strategic objectives set out the main targets over the next five years.
- To operate as an Awarding Body for the implementation of qualifications in the racing, thoroughbred breeding and associated industries in line with government requirements.
- To confirm existing and identify new qualification requirements in consultation with all sectors of the racing and equine industries and to support the development and piloting of new qualifications in response to those needs.
- To monitor the quality of the training provision in the racing and breeding industries, seeking to maintain the highest achievable standards.
- To open the sport to a new, young audience through the use of exciting and informative educational activities based on the National Curriculum.
- To operate as a quality employer and encourage best practice.