ESTABLISHED IN 1993
TO RAISE STANDARDS
The British Horseracing Education & Standards Trust (BHEST) is a registered charity (No. 1040590) and company limited by guarantee.
We have two main responsibilities
We are the Awarding Organisation for a portfolio of both competency and knoweldge-based qualifications in the horseracing, thoroughbred breeding and farriery industries. In addition, we oversee the standards for industry training in the field.
Our education team delivers British horseracing’s free, formal education programme, Racing to School, at racecourses up and down the country. Aimed at pupils and students of all ages, we take a hands-on, practical and lively approach to complement and enrich a broad range of National Curriculum subjects and spark wider interest in the sport.
‘To raise standards in the racing and thoroughbred breeding industries through training, education and qualifications’.
To help BHEST achieve its mission, the following strategic objectives set out the main targets over the next five years.
- To operate as an Awarding Body for the implementation of qualifications in the racing, thoroughbred breeding and associated industries in line with government requirements.
- To confirm existing and identify new qualification requirements in consultation with all sectors of the racing and equine industries and to support the development and piloting of new qualifications in response to those needs.
- To monitor the quality of the training provision in the racing and breeding industries, seeking to maintain the highest achievable standards.
- To open the sport to a new, young audience through the use of exciting and informative educational activities based on the National Curriculum.
- To operate as a quality employer and encourage best practice.